Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Man Vs Woman

Is there such a thing as Man Vs Woman?

I don't think so, but having said that, I still think that Men & Women have learned to agree to disagree on many basic things.

The dis-connect from the women's take, may be because men have a perception of woman that is inherent in them. We may say that society has moved on, guys may say I am 'not that kind off a fella', 'I am sincerely different'. I however think that at the basic level, when he is being a 'man' he genuinely believes that he is different from the 'woman' (the other kind of human), not at a physical level, but as people they are different.

Now that he believes that he is different from the other kind of human, the question is, how different? I think the disagreements happen at this point.

Of course, we all agree that men & women are different, their bodies are a testament. But having stated that, are we really that different ?

Not very much.

But to realise that, we may need to open our mind to the thought that; can it be that a woman may only be how she is because of external factors and not because she was born different from a man?

Family & Society, are 2 factors, that I personally view as very influential in a woman's life. I have been largely governed by these two influences. But don't get me wrong, I am not saying that man is living isolated from these factors.

What I mean to really say is that, the external factors are so different for a man as they are for a woman. These factors make us really that different from each other. Coupled with the mans inherent perception of a woman.

One of the places where the roles are clearly different for a man & a woman are, in marriages. When a woman marries a man, she steps into the role of a 'wife' & then may be a 'mother'. As does a man, into that of a 'husband' and a 'father'.

Have you ever really noticed that how different these roles are from each other. I am saying apart from the natural difference that only the woman gives birth and can breast the baby. But let's get past those differences. There is no dis-agreement that these roles can't be switched.

The question that I want to raise is that, because of some inherent difference (only the woman gives birth), can we assume a certain set of roles for them.

A mature mind will know the differences and yet not really see the two as different. Both sides, only highlight their physical differences for their own gains. However, as 'humans', I feel that the two are not different.

Up till now, all that I have stated has a neutral tone, but there is a negative of this. However, I don't have the energy to cover all the issues in a woman's life that are there; only because she is not a man.

If one is honest, one will have to admit that the negatives are glaring

But I do honestly ask, given a choice, which man will ever want to step into women's life?

I feel that because I am a woman, I have been cheated out of a lot in life.

Of all, "actual equality" is my basic bone of contention.

No comments: